Richard Mille RM035 Black Toro: Watch Review
There’s something intrinsically engaging about a watch that reveals the underlying mechanism in all its glory. Based on the original Raphael Nadal series of watches produced by Richard Mille a little over seven years ago, the RM-35 Black Toro is light, substantial, dark and intricate all at the same time. It’s truly a watch that delivers on expectations, created by a brand at the top of their game.
The new watch came on the back of Nadal’s resurgence in the world of tennis and his victory at Roland Garros. After a period struggling with injuries the King of Clay is definitely back and, some say, better than ever.
If you’re looking for a time piece that stands out from the rest, the RM035 is certainly worth taking a much closer look at. It’s the kind of luxury watch that appeals to sports minded, successful and energetic entrepreneurs who want a design that says something about their place in the world.
The RM035 at a glance:
- The watch mechanism itself is housed in a black magnesium alloy case.
- The surrounding bezels are matt black, strong but light ceramic TZP, generally considered to be the most difficult cases to manufacture today.
- The watch face looks stunning in any light. Underneath you have the working RMUL1 mechanism, the beating heart of the watch.
- Above, in elegant rose gold, you have the dial and watch hands.
- The grey system of cogs and spindles of the manual wind movement stands out brilliantly against the solid matt black of the housing and combines superbly with the rose gold border and dial.
- It’s three part tonneau-shaped case delivers innate durability along with great ergonomics, all of which make it a beautiful and comfortable watch to wear.
It’s not just a luxury watch you get when you buy the RM035, you’re opting into the whole design concept and creative skill of Richard Mille, now one of the premier watch makers in the world. There’s the unique concept that goes into each watch, where every aspect has a purpose and each screw and design placement is carefully thought out. This is the kind of watch that stands out and it’s one reason why Mille has influenced so many others in the industry over the last 17 years.
There’s also the sport link to Rafael Nadal, a seven year long collaboration that has led to the creation of some truly iconic watches. The workmanship that goes into each RM035 is absolutely amazing and is clear to see as soon as you place it on your wrist. The baseplate is made from wet, sandblasted grade 5 titanium and each locking section is polished by hand. The screws are bevelled and polished and the pivots burnished.
The minute you look at the RM035 you understand that this Chronofiable certified watch is something exceptional. Produced in a limited edition of just 50 watches, this is one status packed watch you won’t want to miss out on.